Monday, April 6, 2015

Oh my sparrow!


"House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)- Male in Kolkata I IMG 5904"
 by J.M.Garg (Through Wikipedia)

Specks of dust lace the window pane,
I ponder upon this concrete jungle's bane.
I sip my tea, I steal a slurp.
Be still my heart, was that a chirp?

A glimpse of feathers, chestnut brown
One of the few sparrows left in our town.
I stayed still, I watched as it perched.
How many parks for it had I searched!

It twitched its tail and chirped aloud,
It stomped its feet , invoking a dust cloud.
The tuft of brown rolled about in the hole,
Flinging dust like a naughty troll.

Finally it hopped into the chimney vent,
Its home amidst the mortar and cement.
I moved to the kitchen like a cat
And soon I heard their raucous spat.

About the post: 

This poem is based on my chance encounter with a sparrow on an idle day. I was pleasantly surprised to see a sparrow make its way into the chimney duct/vent and what followed was incessant chirping for quite some time. I am yet to make a call for repairing the vent/duct but I do not want to displace the elusive sparrows (Please take note that the chimney is not in use so they are completely safe). Time and again I have come across articles that discuss the dwindling numbers and sighting of sparrows in Delhi NCR. I consider myself lucky to have spotted them around my house.


No comments:

Post a Comment